The next list of some of the must visit places in Juárez City, Chihuahua, was created to help visitors from around the world enjoy their stay in our great hometown. I will also love to hear from your favorite places in Juárez, to include them in this post.
Thanks to the people of I Love Juárez for their suggestions and to Imágenes de Juárez for some of the photographs included in this post.
- Turibus – This new touristic bus departs from Tuesday to Sunday from the Viva México restaurant station (Av. Abraham Lincoln and Av. Malecon). It offers three tours: Historical Downtown, Casa de Adobe museum and Chamizal Park. Ask for the bilingual tours! https://www.facebook.com/turibusjuarez
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Juárez Cathedral (Juárez Downtown) – https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catedral_de_Ciudad_Juárez
- Juárez City Market (Juárez Downtown) – A good place to eat traditional Mexican food and buy souvenirs for home. The murals by the Jellyfish collective are a “must see”!
- The X Monument – This landmark, built by the internationally famous sculptor Sebastian, sits next to the Plaza de la Mexicanidad, where cultural events take place and the Parque Xtremo, where different extreme sports are played. https://www.facebook.com/MonumentoLaXDeCiudadJuarez
- Yo Amo a Juárez Monument – This new landmark is located in Juárez downtown (Avenida Juárez and 16 de Septiembre). Cultural events are organized in this popular spot. And you certainly want to take a selfie next to it!
Restaurants and Bars
- Club Kentucky – This famous downtown bar opened its doors in the 1920s and it is rumoured that the famous Margarita cocktail was created here. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-Kentucky/203767720227
- Viva México – This restaurant is famous for its Mexican folkloric show and traditional decoration. http://restaurantevivamexico.com/
- Shangrila – Fine Chinese cuisine. A long time tradition in Juárez! https://foursquare.com/v/shangrila/4e349977b0fb59390e9668a5
- Villa del Mar – Founded in 1967, it is the oldest sea food restaurant in Juárez/El Paso area. http://www.villadelmarrestaurants.com/vivars_about.html
- La Nueva Central – One of the locals favorite places to have a traditional Mexican breakfast. If you have an adventurous taste, try the menudo (beef tripe soup). http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150780-d6776707-Reviews-La_Nueva_Central_de_Cd_Juarez-Ciudad_Juarez_Northern_Mexico.html
- El Arrancadero – Very hungry? This steak house will satisfy your appetite. http://elarrancadero.com/
- Aaajiji!!! – Here you can find a great variety of tacos and snacks, to fill your Mexican cravings. http://www.aaajiji.com/
- Burritos Don Chepe – Visiting Juárez and not eating a burrito? Forget about it! https://www.facebook.com/tiochepe.burritos
- Rocco Café – Best chilaquiles in town! Contemporary mexican cuisine. https://www.facebook.com/Rocco-Caf%C3%A9-8938834711/?fref=ts
Sports and Recreation
- Trepachanga Xtreme Park – If you are an outdoor kind of person, you will love this place. Among its many activities, you will find: paintball, four-wheelers, hanging bridges, mountain cycling, rock climbing…http://www.ecoprojects.com.mx/Trepachanga.html
- MUREF Museum (Border Revolution Museum) – https://inahchihuahua.wordpress.com/museo-de-la-revolucion-en-la-frontera-muref/
- Archeology Museum of El Chamizal – Located in the El Chamizal historic site, this museum promotes the Prehispanic cultures and diverse local, regional and foreign art expressions. Its gardens keep an important sculpture collection. Diverse local events take place in the museum premises. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150780-d4985216-Reviews-Museo_de_Arqueologia_El_Chamizal-Ciudad_Juarez_Northern_Mexico.html
- La Rodadora Children´s Museum – http://larodadora.org/ – A delightful discovery place for kids and not so young visitors. Ask for a bilingual tour by a Rodi (museum guide)!
- Casa de Adobe – collection of pictures and artifacts from the Mexican Revolution period. https://www.facebook.com/CasaDeAdobeCd.Juarez
Other fantastic places to visit in Chihuahua
- Samalayuca Dune Fields – http://www.visitmexico.com/en/juarez-city-chihuahua
- Cumbres de Majalca National Park –https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cumbres-de-Majalca-National-Park/112221088794840
- La Sotolera – Drink the best Northern sotol (alcoholic beverage with Protected Denomination of Origin in Chihuahua, Coahuila and Durango). Ask for their tours and tastings! https://www.facebook.com/LaSotolera/?fref=ts
- Copper Canyon – http://mexicoscoppercanyon.com/
There are many other fantastic places to visit in the state of Chihuahua, such as Villahumada (where you can have the best asadero quesadillas or kekas), Nombre de Dios Caverns, the Aldama zoo, Chihuahua (the state´s capital), the cities of Delicias, Parral, Cuauhtémoc, Santa Bárbara, San Francisco del Oro…but I will have to write another post specifically to mention the must see places in the large and beautiful Chihuahua.
Did I miss other fantastic places? Let me know!